In this section, we would review the inspection of windows. Windows are usually made of aluminium and powder-coated or anodised aluminium.
Similarly to door frame, the frame of window to the wall should be consistent and does not have any visible gap.
When the window is closed, there should be no gap between the window and the frame. This is important as any gap would allow water to seep in when it is raining.
The window and frame should also be aligned to each other here. Inspect the window and frame for bends and warps.
Sealant is almost inevitably used in window fittings to the wall to ensure all gap is sealed up. The sealant should be applied in an uniform and neat manner with no excess on glazing or the window frame.
Next, perform a visual inspection to check for any visible damages like cracks, dents, scratch marks.
Components like lock, knob, handle, latch, hinges, screws etc... must be well fitted and free from rust and stains. It is essential for these to be operated smoothly and easily especially the locking mechanism. There should be no squealing sound where the presence indicates parts subjected to excessive friction or simply poorly oiled. For casement or sliding windows, the window should open and close / slide along the window track smoothly.
To check if the windows are water tight, one would have to run water down the windows from the outside and check if there is any water seeping through. An alternative is to check for this when it is raining.
In summary, the following are the key areas to look out for when checking for window defects:
- Frame of window to the wall should be consistent and does not have any visible gap
- No gap between the window and the frame when closed
- Window and frame should be aligned
- Inspect the window and frame for bends and warps
- Sealant should be applied in an uniform and neat manner
- No visible damages like cracks, dents, scratch marks
- Components should be well fitted and free from rust and stains
- Components should operated smoothly and easily
- No squealing sound
- The window should open and close / slide along the window track smoothly
- Check if there is any water seeping through